Hair and makeup tips for the perfect destination wedding look
Destination weddings provide an enchanting fusion of romance and adventure, as couples unite in breathtaking global settings. Brides embrace the thrilling task of tailoring their hair and makeup to harmonize with the destination’s climate, scenery, and theme.
In this article, let’s explore how brides can tailor their hair and makeup choices for various destination wedding locations and offer expert tips for makeup artists to excel in this arena.
Beach Resorts: A Breezy Affair
- Keep it light and natural: Opt for lightweight, waterproof makeup to combat the heat and humidity
- Earthy tones: Soft, neutral shades for eyeshadow and lips work well in the beach environment
- Long-lasting products: Ensure makeup products are sweat and water-resistant for a lasting look.
- Embrace beach waves: Loose, tousled, or relaxed updos exude effortless elegance
- Use beach-inspired accessories: Incorporate starfish pins or seashell hairpieces for a whimsical touch.
Celebrity makeup artist Pallavi Symons underscores the importance of pre-wedding skincare to achieve the coveted “dewy” look, advising brides to start a dedicated skincare routine months before the wedding. She says, “Achieving the truly “dewy” look is undoubtedly an investment for brides. It entails a well-informed and disciplined skincare routine, preferably under the guidance of a dermatologist. This meticulous approach is crucial for achieving radiant and flawless makeup on the big day. It’s important to note that this process should commence well in advance, ideally months before the wedding. While makeup can work wonders, becoming the ideal canvas and realizing the makeup and final look of your dreams requires dedication and preparation.”
Countryside Venues: Rustic Elegance
- Soft, romantic hues: Opt for soft pinks, peaches, and earthy tones for a natural yet romantic look
- Matte finish: Choose a matte foundation to combat potential humidity or sweat
- Defined eyes: Consider bolder eyeliner and mascara for added drama.
- Loose braids and curls: Effortlessly chic styles like loose braids or half-up, half-down with curls complement the rustic setting
- Flower crowns: Enhance the countryside vibe with flower crowns or wildflower-adorned hairpins.
“Achieving the truly “dewy” look is undoubtedly an investment for brides. It entails a well-informed and disciplined skincare routine, preferably under the guidance of a dermatologist. This meticulous approach is crucial for achieving radiant and flawless makeup on the big day.”
Celebrity makeup artist Pallavi Symons
Mountain Retreats: Cozy Elegance
- Rosy cheeks: Enhance the natural flush from the mountain air with a rosy blush
- Bold lips: Add elegance with a bold, berry-toned lip colour while keeping it cozy
- Waterproof makeup: Given unpredictable mountain weather, ensure all makeup is waterproof.
- Chic updos: Classic updos such as a low bun or messy chignon keep hair in place amid wind and cooler temperatures
- Warm accessories: Consider velvet ribbons or faux fur wraps for a touch of winter glamour.
Pro Tips for Makeup Artists
- In-Depth Consultation: Prioritize a comprehensive consultation to grasp the bride’s vision, considering the destination, theme, and personal style
- Product selection: Choose long-lasting and weather-appropriate makeup and hair products suitable for the destination’s climate
- Bride’s comfort: Emphasize lightweight and breathable makeup to ensure the bride’s comfort, particularly in extreme climates
- Adapt to surroundings: Incorporate local elements, such as flowers or cultural themes, into the bride’s makeup for an authentic touch
- Flawless foundation: Use lightweight, breathable foundations that allow the skin to breathe, minimizing layers for added comfort
- Minimal touch-ups: Minimize makeup to reduce the need for frequent touch-ups, enhancing the bride’s comfort throughout the day
- Setting spray: Employ setting spray to lock makeup in place, ensuring a fresh look without heaviness
- Colour palette harmony: Adjust the colour palette to complement the destination’s colours and scenery for a cohesive look.
Pallavi advises on the best practices for makeup application and touch-ups in hot and humid conditions. She highlights the durability feature of modern makeup, often lasting 6-8 hours or more. She recommends using a primer for smooth application in such conditions. “To manage shine, it’s essential to have blotting films or a powder puff at hand, ‘’adds Pallavi. Additionally, she suggests creating a touch-up kit with key items like lipstick, Q-tips, tissues, and a muslin cloth to address any makeup concerns throughout the day.”
She further emphasizes the significance of makeup trials, recommending open communication between brides and makeup artists, even for remote coordination. “Regular updates on clothing, jewellery, and makeup preferences are vital for achieving a seamless and stunning wedding day look.”