Discover the secrets to maintaining and styling your wig like a pro
Wigs have come a long way from being theatrical props and costume accessories to becoming a fashion statement in the beauty industry. It offers a versatile hair solution and endless possibilities for creating different looks.
Irrespective of whether it’s worn for fun, fashion, or necessity, maintenance of wigs marks a crucial step in ensuring it always looks the best.
StyleSpeak walks you through easy-to-follow wig-care techniques, allowing you to enjoy gorgeous locks and effortless elegance every day.
Types of wigs
Before we delve into the world of wig care, it’s crucial to start with the basics: choosing the right type of wig. The right wig can make life easier, as high-quality wigs are typically easier to maintain. Here are three major types of wigs:
- Human hair wig: These wigs are made entirely of real human hair. Taking care of them, cleaning them, and styling them is similar to taking care of natural hair.
- Synthetic wigs: The most popular and reasonably priced wigs are constructed from synthetic materials such as plastic or acrylic fibers. They are ready to wear out of the box and simple to maintain.
- Blended wigs: Real human hair and synthetic fiber hair are combined to create blended hair wigs. It provides a durable and organic texture.
Wig-care essentials and routine
Wig care might seem daunting, but with the right tools and techniques, maintaining the wig’s beauty and longevity can seem easy. Here are the essentials needed for wig care:
- Wig Stand: This is crucial for preserving the shape of the wig when it is not in use. It helps maintain the wig’s style and prevents tangling. When the wig is not in use, place it on a wig stand. It will help maintain its shape and prevent tangles.
- Wide-tooth Comb: It helps detangle the wig gently. Start from the ends and work your way up to the roots, being careful not to damage the fibers. Gently detangle the wig using a wide-tooth comb before and after wearing it. Start at the ends and work your way up to the roots to avoid damaging the fibers.
- Wig Brush: A wig brush with soft, synthetic bristles is ideal for styling and smoothening the wig without causing damage.
- Wig Shampoo and Conditioner: Invest in a quality wig shampoo and conditioner specifically designed for wigs. These products are gentle and won’t strip the fibers of their natural shine. Fill a basin with lukewarm water. Add a small amount of wig shampoo and gently wash the wig. After shampooing, apply wig conditioner and leave it on for a few minutes. Rinse the wig with cold water.
- Styling Products: Depending on the wig’s material, use heat protectant sprays, wig mousse, or wig shine sprays for styling and maintaining the desired look. If your wig is heat-resistant, you can use low-heat styling tools. However, it’s essential to use a heat protectant spray to prevent damage.
Even with proper maintenance, wigs can encounter some common issues. Here’s how to troubleshoot them:
- Tangling: If the wig tangles, use a wide-tooth comb to gently detangle it.
- Shine Loss: To restore shine, apply a wig shine spray or serum.
- Frizz: Use a wig-specific anti-frizz serum to tame frizz and keep your wig looking sleek.
Mastering wig care is the key to maintaining the elegance and beauty of the wig. With the right tools, routine, and a little patience, everyday can be transformed to a good hair day.
Wig Care Do’s and Don’ts
- Regularly clean and condition the wig to maintain its longevity.
- When taking off wigs, take your time to avoid irritating your edges or damaging them.
- Take professional help while styling the wig.
- Avoid opting for low-quality wigs.
- Don’t use too many sprays, like an extra-hold hairspray, dry shampoo, and heat protectants.
- Never sleep or shower with your wig on.