Expert tips for loving your chemically treated hair
The exhilaration of leaving the salon with freshly dyed, styled, or chemically treated hair is indeed unmatched. However, it’s crucial to acknowledge that the care journey extends beyond that initial moment. Similar to a newly planted garden requiring diligent care, post-treatment hair demands dedicated attention to preserve its vibrancy, shine, and strength. This guide is designed to provide factual tools and proven techniques for individuals seeking to maintain the flourishing health of their hair well beyond the immediate post-treatment stage.
Colour Correction: Keeping Your Shades Vibrant
- Sulfate-Free Soiree: Swap your regular shampoo for a sulfate-free formula. Sulfates, while effective cleansers, can strip colour faster. Opt for gentle, colour-safe shampoos and conditioners infused with colour-depositing pigments to maintain vibrancy.
- Cool Down the Rinse: Hot water is another colour-fading culprit. Rinse your hair with cool water to seal the cuticle and lock in pigment. Bonus points for a final cold rinse!
- Deep Dive with Masks: Regular deep conditioning treatments nourish your hair and prevent colour fading. Choose masks specifically formulated for colour-treated hair, which offer richer hydration and colour protection.
- Sun’s a Sinner: UV rays are notorious for dulling colour. Protect your hair with a leave-in conditioner or hairspray containing SPF, especially when outdoors.
Straightening Serenity: Keeping Sleekness On Point
- Hydration is Holy Grail: Keratin straightening works by altering the hair’s protein structure. This process can leave strands vulnerable to dryness. Religiously apply hydrating shampoos, conditioners, and leave-in products to combat frizz and maintain that smooth, sleek look.
- Heat Hibernation: Minimize heat styling after keratin treatments. Excessive blow-drying, straightening, or curling can undo the treatment’s effects and damage your hair. Air-dry whenever possible, and if you must use heat, opt for low temperatures and heat protectant sprays.
- Sulfate Saga (Part 2): As with colour-treated hair, steer clear of harsh sulfates, which can break down the keratin bonds and cause frizz.
- Chlorine Calamity: Pool-loving straight-haired folks, beware! Chlorine can loosen keratin bonds and dull your shine. Rinse your hair thoroughly with fresh water after every swim and apply a deep conditioner to restore moisture and smoothness.
Curl Confidence: Bouncing Back with Style
- Moisture Matters: Curly hair naturally tends to be drier than straight hair. Post-chemical treatments can exacerbate this dryness. Invest in rich, moisturizing shampoos and conditioners formulated for curls. Look for ingredients like coconut oil, shea butter, and jojoba oil.
- Co-Washing Craze: Try co-washing! This technique involves using a conditioner instead of shampoo to cleanse your hair. It gently removes dirt and build-up without stripping away essential oils, keeping your curls bouncy and hydrated.
- Leave-In Love: Invest in leave-in conditioners and curl creams. These products define your curls, combat frizz, and provide much-needed moisture.
- Diffusing Delights: If you need to use heat, opt for a diffuser attachment on your blow-dryer. This helps prevent frizz and maintain your curl pattern. Diffuse on low heat and avoid touching your hair too much while drying.
Universal TLC: Remedies for All
- Trim the Tips: Split ends are more noticeable on treated hair. Schedule regular trims to keep the hair healthy and prevent further damage.
- Silk Pillowcase Serenade: Upgrade the pillowcase to a silky smooth version. Satin or silk reduces friction, minimizing tangles and breakage while you sleep.
- Scalp Savvy:Scalp Savvy: Don’t neglect the scalp! Post-treatment hair can be susceptible to scalp irritation. Use gentle clarifying shampoos occasionally to remove any product build-up that might clog pores.
- Diet Dictates Shine: What you eat affects your hair. Include plenty of fruits, vegetables, and protein in your diet to nourish your hair from the inside out.
Post-treatment hair care is not a one-size-fits-all approach. Pay close attention to your hair, experiment with diverse products and techniques, and identify what suits you best. With a little extra care, your hair will bounce back after any treatment, revealing its healthy, happy, and truly transformative self.
Aarti Gomes Vaid,
Sr VP, Levo Spalon